Sunday, February 27, 2011

Live to work, work to live, where is the balance!?

So hubby goes back to work tomorrow, after being home with Nicklaus all this time!  It will be a hard day for him, Nick is in school full time (by school I mean daycare) we like it to sound more official! haha
I hope  he stays strong and healthy.  We are back this week for RSV shots, then his four month old shots as well as Kylie's four year old shots - I am feeling a bad week coming on!  Kylie is already coughing, and I am afraid that the asthma will get the best of her, which puts us in a pickle!  We both are going to be very busy at work, which leads to very little time off.

I think we should rework the work week her in America, especially maternity leave.  You know in Canada I hear they get one Year off (feel free to chime in- my readers from around the globe).  That year off, is paid!  What a concept in how more productive the work force would be when they don't have to worry about the baby in daycare for the first year, hell, I'd take six months!  I think that overall people would be happier with a four day work week.  If we work to support our families and then spend all of our time working- what good does that do?  Such a fine line to walk, and so difficult to balance.  But I find that most people after a long weekend are so much more refreshed.  You are able to get things done and still have a day to rest.  Makes for a clear head a happier crowd!

Funny that from such a young age it is drilled into us, what college are you going to go to? What do you want to be when you grow up?  What line of work are you going to be in?  You have to be successful so pick well!  If it wasn't for my dad pushing me constantly to get a degree, I would not be where I am today.  I am grateful that he did it even if I gave him grief and struggled. College was not an easy time for me.  There always seemed to be some major drama in my life (shocking I know) and whether is was directly related to me or not - there was definite drama.  That can be another blog- long stories...

People ask me today what I what to do with my life.  I don't think I really know even today.  I have always dreamed of writing a book, opening my own restaurant or shop, I am a true entrepreneur at heart- I love to be busy and Love to help people.  So if I could incorporate all of that into one thing that would be great but I think I have to conquer one at a time.  That is why I started this - I can write, I can write my recipes, I still get to cook, and hopefully some of you will find some kind of enjoyment from reading about it. 

Ideally I want to spend time with my family, I do enjoy working and I want most importantly to just be happy, healthy, and find some life balance.  Everything seems to happen so fast these days.  When I was little I couldn't wait to be older, and now as I get older I want the clock to stop.  I want my kids to stay little, I want my parents to stay young, I want my husband and I to savor all of our younger years together.  I don't want to wake up someday and realize I spend so much time working, and watching life pass by that I missed everything.  I don't want my kids to grow up and when they write their legacy, say I wish my parents spent more time with me.  That is where I think some countries do it right, slower pace, savor the moment, savor the time. Recognize what is important and really pay attention to it, celebrate it.  Hey, no one is perfect, I am sure there are flaws in every scenario but wouldn't it be nice if EVERYONE was on the same page!  Then the perfect balance would be common and we wouldn't have to search for it all the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment