Friday, April 1, 2011

Viral Meningitis... don't underestimate symptoms

There was an article in the paper about a boy that had meningitis- had it almost identical to me.  It really hits home with my husband and I because it is amazing that once they determine you are viral and not bacterial they minimize it all so much.  Viral meningitis is just as awful as bacterial in so many ways, I think it is time to educate folks on the affects.  I am attaching the story from the Union Leader as my story is one of my first blogs, and the reason I started writing this blog in the first place.  It took me almost five months to recover, and it was not pleasant at all.  It took a huge toll on my family who thought I was going to die.  They watched me crying because I was in so much pain and the pain medication was not helping.  They watched my blood pressure go so high I could of stroked out.  They watched me as my memory faded away.  They watched me go into a medicine induced coma because the swelling on my brain would not subside.  This all from VIRAL meningitis.  My white cells were as high as someone with bacterial.  People should be worried about it if they have it.  http://www.unionleader.com/article.aspx?headline=Making+a+return+from+a+battle+with+meningitis&articleId=190b7b42-af0a-4335-a773-9b7cca903d27

So don't underestimate the warning signs because you never know!

No comments:

Post a Comment